Most headaches will go away on their own and aren’t a sign of something more serious.
How you can ease headaches yourself
Headaches can last between 30 minutes and several hours.
See a GP if:
- your headache keeps coming back
- painkillers don’t help and your headache gets worse
- you have a bad throbbing pain at the front or side of your head – this could be a migraine or, more rarely, a cluster headache
- you feel sick, vomit and find light or noise painful
- you get other symptoms – for example, your arms or legs feel numb or weak
What can cause headaches
The most common reasons are: